07 August 2011

Why write a blog?

I suppose that most blogs start with a "why am I doing this" kind of post. This is mine.

I have been working at a Christian university for 21 years now. During most of that time I have been the Registrar, which often puts me in the position of trying to explain to prospective or current students, to potential or current staff, or even to potential faculty members what a Christian university is, at least the way we do this at King's.So I have accumulated some "stuff" in my head about which I periodically think "I should write that down." So here I am, writing it down.

As well, a colleague who writes the great blog Who Wants To Be A Registrar? noted that he had not seen a good defence of the need for a Christian post-secondary education in some time. This blog is intended to be a bit of an answer to that. I will probably not be either theological or philosophical enough for some, although I will touch on both. I will also probably not be practical enough for others, although I will touch on practical reasons.

While writing this I have prospective university students in mind. That is not to say that only prospective students should read this. In fact, I'll be somewhat surprised if any prospective students read this! However, there are other audiences who should be working through the whys of Christian university education too: parents, grandparents, secondary teachers, current students (especially in those "why am I here" moments), those considering careers in academia (either on the faculty or administrative sides) and probably some I am forgetting.

I intend to leave the comments on for these posts, although moderated. This is not because I want to constrain anyone's opinions on topic, but given the prevalence of spam and trolls on any topic related to religion it seems wise to have some control. So we can have a bit of discussion as we roll along.

Finally, I plan to write every couple of weeks. The life of a Registrar moves in waves, the peaks and valleys of which might challenge regular blog production! But I will be trying to write regularly. Next time I will take a stab at a list of topics I think I will cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment